RENTAL MONKEYS
If you're trying to out-think someone that isn't thinking, you'll lose

Thursday, November 24, 2005

I cannot be blamed because you're weak...

Must write regularly. Must write regularly. Must write regularly.

Ok, done. Now I will write regularly. Honest.

And so what has happened since last I wrote... well, saw a couple of concerts, moved into the basement office... hmm.

Ok, so last Thursday I went with Mike and a friend of his to see Nine Inch Nails at the Saddledome. Originally I had been a bit frustrated because Mike's friend got floor tickets and I didn't want to be impaled by a mass of humanity, but I'm actually quite happy we were on the floor now. We got to lurk back towards the rear of the floor and spent the entire concert happily unmolested.

"Death From Above 1979" opened, and while I arrived late and only caught about 2/3 of their set, I was very impressed. Two guys (either from Edmonton or Toronto, depends on who you ask), one on bass and one on drums (the drummer was the "vocalist" who, unfortunately, was rather... uninspiring). As I walked into the saddledome I could hear a steady "thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-chugchugchugchugchugchug". That pretty much sums up their sound - very loud, very dense, but pretty good. If it wasn't for the vocals, I'd definitely pick up their CD...

Next was "Queens of the Stone Age" and I had been looking forward to seeing them. Unfortunately, they left me terribly disappointed... they were dull, way way way WAY too loud, and didn't know how to end a song. You know how sometimes you will go to a rock show and at the end of a particularly intense song, or at the end of the concert, the band will go all crazy and play their instruments all out of control until the song climaxes in this big giant wall of noise? It's a fun moment at a concert.

Except if it's done at the end of nearly every song, which is what QOTSA did. Bah. I was quite pleased when they wandered off the stage. BOOOO!

But then NIN came out, and it was beyond amazing. When I saw them 5 or 6 years ago in Vancouver, it was easily one of the best shows I'd ever seen.

This show simply blew it away - the performance was intense, powerful. The imagery was amazing - at one point the front of the stage was covered with a sheer "screen" - you could see the band through it, but on it were a lot of disturbing gulf war images juxtaposed with happy pictures of rich people (and George W.) - all during the performance of "Right Where it Belongs" - a sad, brooding song which took on complete new meaning with this treatment.

The weekend was very hectic - the basement got finished so we spent the weekend moving stuff around down there. That took some time but we're somewhat settled in now. My office is a mess but it's less mess than the upstairs junk room/storage room/kyle's office, so that's good at least.

Last night we went to see Sarah Slean in concert at the Eckhart Gramatte (probably spelled that wrong) hall at U of C. That room has amazing acoustics - the first time we ever saw Sarah Slean (this was the 4th time) was also at this hall.

The show was simply amazing - just her and a piano, nothing else. Brilliant.

That's all for now... I will endeavour to write tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steffie said...

i want to marry sarah slean. can we do that?

Thursday, November 24, 2005 at 11:15:00 AM MST  
Blogger bubba said...

if that happens, could i tape it?

Thursday, November 24, 2005 at 1:54:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home